Monday, March 12, 2007

Nathan Price Needs A Slap


Our literature figure eight's goal was to focus on the characters over the next cycle, and I have found Nathan Price's stubbornness to be the most pressing issue.
He has one of the worst attitudes so far, and is outright rude towards the Congolese people and their culture. Immediately upon his arrival in Kilanga he ridicules and publicly humiliates one specific (but probably many others)woman and her clothing choices, or lack there of. He constantly tries to push his beliefs into everyone Else's lives and when the locals try to help him avoid mistakes, ie. Mama Tataba's gardening methods, he flat out rejects their advice. He is proven to be wrong on many occasions and he still remains unwavered in his ways. I've read pretty far into the book and he's still the same after a whole year of failure due to his tightly closed mind, and I cant even begin to guess what it will take for him to change, if he does so at all (which i don't think he does). Nathan does have good intentions, we know this, he is just so stuck in his ways that he is blinded to the idea of collaboration with his environment and this new culture he's been plopped into, which would be much more beneficial for everyone.

I googled the name Nathan Price and this was the first image that came up. It has absolutely nothing to do with PWB, i just thought it was funny.

2 comments:

Jessica Y said...

I agree wholeheartedly! I guess it also depends on your point of view and your personal biases, but I also think Nathan is being pushy, arrogant, and quite unreasonable. I'm not sure I completely agree with the statement about his horrible attitude; isn't there a difference between doing something out of ignorance and doing something with hurtful intent? I don't think he meant to "humiliate" her. Or does the intent really matter, in these circumstances? In the latter part of your post, you do say that he has good intentions though. :)

Great post!

Cassidy said...

I agree, Nathan does need a slap in the face. I was disgusted when I recentely read that Nathan grabbed Orleannas precious plate, and smashed it in half, then commented on her "pitiful" cooking in an attempt to win over a "Negroes heart". I could not believe how horrible he treated his wife! But I also agree that he does have some good intentions. I just dont think that he's very good about practicing what he preaches.